Friday, April 11, 2014

When sleeping alone just won't do...

I gripe about my kid. A lot. Generally with good reason. Like last night when he decided it would be a FABULOUS idea to disappear at the sports plex with a few friends and come back soaking wet covered in mud literally from head to toe from venturing into the creek fishing for crawfish. Cue the audible sigh and eye roll. After I calmed down, HOURS later, I realized he was just being a boy. A disobedient boy none the less, but his adventurous, energetic usual self. And he had a messy yet great time making that memory. I can laugh about it today.


Tonight he asked to go to bed rather early for a weekend night. He hadn't acted like his usual self tonight. He was quiet, reserved and seemed to be pondering a lot. I put him a movie in and proceeded to my room to read a book. After hearing him toss and turn for an hour and a half, I heard his footsteps heading my way. He climbed in my bed, turned his back to me, demanded one word "snuggle" and said and sing me my song. I'm such a music junkie. I heard a Richard Marx song long before I ever met Jason and told myself if I ever have a child that will be our song. I sang it to him every night that I rocked him to sleep. The older he got, the fewer times I was allowed to rock him. There have only been a few times in the last few years that he has asked for it. So I quickly obliged and before I made it to the last verse he was snoring. I guess that's all he needed tonight to finally drift off to sleep. That's either a compliment to my awesome mothering skills or a complete disregard to my singing skills. Either way it did the trick. I decided to document it tonight because it's been one of those days that I needed to be reminded how much he needs me. One day when he really understands the words to this song, he will realize how much in reality I needed him.



I was never alive
'Til the day I was blessed with you.
When I hold you late at night,
I know what I was put here to do.
I turn off the world and listen to you sigh,
And I will sing my Angel's Lullaby.

Know I'm forever near,
The one you can always call.
Right now all you know to fear
Are the shadows on your wall.
I'm here close enough
To kiss the tears you cry,
And I will sing my Angel's Lullaby.

So tell me how to stop the years from racing.
Is there a secret someone knows?
I'll never catch all the memories I'm chasing.
I'll never be ready to let go.

And when the world seems cold,
And you feel that all of your strength is gone,
There may be one tiny voice,
Your reason to carry on,
And when I'm not close enough
To kiss the tears you cry,
You will sing your Angel's Lullaby.
Let this be our Angel's Lullaby.




2 comments:

  1. :D This made me smile. ~ Uncle Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) now I need someone to come sing me to sleep. I'm wide awake!

      Delete